• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboyforum.cc

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Thai [Thailand] Foodglorious food!

Ann Guay Tiew Kua Gai

419 Luang Road, Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Bangkok,
419 ถนนหลวง แขวงวัดเทพสิรินทร์ Bangkok 10100, Thailand
Tel: +66 2 621 5199
Opening Hours: 4pm – 1am Daily

annguay12.jpg

Chicken Fried Noodles With Runny Egg In Bangkok, With Michelin Bib Gourmand.

[Bangkok] Talking about Thai fried noodles, it is usually about the Pad Thai, Pad Khi Mao (Drunken Noodles) or Pad See Ew (stir fried rice noodles) that people (I mean tourists) generally go for.

Okay. Guay Tiew Kua Gai is basically fried rice noodles added with ingredients such as chicken and cuttlefish, have minimal sauces and is therefore dry.

The entire flavour comes from being cooked at high heat in pork fat, with just that little bit of soy sauce, eggs and spring onion.

Then you may wonder: What is so special about it then?

The trick is to fry this such that the noodles are actually kind of crispy on the outside, yet smooth and soft on the inside, especially when you mix everything up.

Ann Guay Tiew Kua Gai, located near Chinatown in Bangkok is one of the best-known places to get this dish. It was also awarded a Michelin Bib Gourmand. (The other awarded similar tall is Guay Tiew Kuai Gai Sunmali at Khlang Hospital Intersection. Seems like the inspectors do like their Kway Teow.)

The good thing about this eatery is that it is air-conditioned, but the food is cooked outside in the lanes, so you still get that bit of ‘street-side’ taste.

Ann Guay Tiew Kua Gai is located on Luang Road which is situated just a 15 minutes’ walk from the main parts of Bangkok including Charoen Krung Road, Chinatown, and Yaowarat.

Doong Aroi Ded ดุ๋งอร่อยเด็ด
7F The Helix Quartier, The Emquartier
EmQuartier The Helix Quartier #7A-10, 651, Sukhumvit Rd, Khlong Tan Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand (BTS Phrom Phong)

doongaroided5.jpg

Thai Style Wagyu Beef Noodle Soup At The Emquartier.

[Bangkok] It is always fascinating to see street food being brought to a higher-end restaurants, then topped up with premium ingredients.

My question is: Would the Thais pay that much more to eat something in a fancy restaurant that they can find in the streets. The answer is apparently “Yes”.

Doong Aroi Ded located on the 7th floor of The Helix Quartier at The Emquartier, serves up beef noodles, Tom Yum noodles and sliced beef sets.

The rich and tasty broth with depth is said to be cooked using a special traditional recipe which is ‘Aroi Ded Noodle Shop’s’ well-kept secret for over half a century.

The bowl was an agreeable marriage of quality thinly sliced beef and meat balls in robust full-bodied soup base.

Typically the beef served in street stalls tend to be on the tougher side, and the superiority of the meat used by Doong

Yusup Pochana (ยูซุปโภชนา)

Address: 531/12 Kaset Nawamin Road (Tawmaw 97), Lat Yao Chatuchak, Bangkok | 531/12 อาคาร บริเวณสี่แยกเกษตร ถนนเกษตร-นวมินทร์ (ตอหม้อ 97) แขวงลาดยาว เขตจตุจักร กรุงเทพฯ
Phone: 08-1659-6588
Open Hours: 8:30 am – 3 pm daily (closed on Monday and Tuesday of the 3rd week of every month)

How to get there:

There’s no real easy way to get to Yusup Pochana (ยูซุปโภชนา) other than taking a taxi or personal vehicle. If you go by taxi, it’s sometimes even hard, so I would recommend printing off the address and name of the restaurant to show the driver. The restaurant is located on the side of Prasert Manukitch Road, in the northern part of Bangkok, about 10 or 15 minutes north of Chatuchak.

Note: There are 2 restaurants next to each other, make sure you veer right on the little bridge.

IMG_2150.jpg

My mouth is beginning to water even as I write this post about Yusup Pochana (ยูซุปโภชนา).

You better believe it… the food was that good!

This famous northern Bangkok Thai Muslim restaurant will serve you a meal you won’t forget, and a few of their dishes left me in tears of joy.

The restaurant is in sort of a big garage like dining room, with big iron rafters covered in cobwebs and shiny metal tables and chairs.

After checking out the menu, I’m not ashamed to admit we went a little crazy by ordering all out – mostly because I was so excited to try everything!

They have a few different house-made juices available which were sweet and refreshing.

All good Thai Muslim meals should begin with a roti mataba, a kind of stuffed roti that’s fried in lots of oil.

I really have nothing else to say other than the food at Yusup Pochana (ยูซุปโภชนา) is insanely delicious. You will not ever regret eating here.

Thang Long
82/5 Soi Lang Suan, Phloen Chit Road, Bangkok, Thailand (Long walk from Chidlom BTS. A cab could be easier)
ซอย หลังสวน เพลินจิต
Tel: 02 251 3504, 02 251 4491
Opening Hours: 11am – 2pm, 5pm – 11pm

thanglong8.jpg

Stylish Vietnamese Restaurant Near Bangkok’s Wireless Road.

Bangkok, Thailand] Many of Bangkok’s restaurants score in terms of style. The same could be said for Thang Long (which is the former name for Hanoi in Vietnam).

Thang Long is located at the Bangkok Wireless Road Neighbourhood, along Soi Lang Suan. While this seems like a quieter stretch of road away from the usual buzz, its hip neighbours include Asia’s Best Restaurant Gaggan (5 min walk down the road) and Wine Bridge Plus (just opposite). Refer to map below

Dark wooden furnishing, water features, an outdoor seating area like a bar by the beach and loungy music would appeal to the chic and stylish crowd in Bangkok.

The modern Vietnamese restaurant serves food tapas style, so expect dishes from the predictable such as pho, Viet spring rolls and vermicelli, to steam ravioli and deep fried frog legs (!).

Its menu was rather confusing though, despite being artistically photographed. The food photos were on one side, while prices were printed in sections somewhere in the menu. Not intuitive enough.

Lukkaithong Royal Cooking @ Siam Paragon

Room No. 432-434A 4th floor Siam Paragon Shopping Center, No. 911, Rama 1 Rd., Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm

lukkaithong10.jpg

Gigantic Thai Tea Shaved Ice Is The IN Bangkok Dessert.

Bangkok] It was not yet 12 noon and there was already a long queue to get into Luk Kai Thong at Level 4 of Siam Paragon.

Speaking of which, how come I have never realised there is this level of Siam Paragon where there are so many restaurants?

Groups of families and Thai tai-tais (quite a mouthful) were seating outside this posh looking Lukkaithong designed to look like a bird cage.

Yes, complete with hanging plants, and a buzzer that emitted sounds of chirping when I called for a waiter.

“Kai Thong” means “golden chicken” in Thai, while “Luk” represents “baby”.

Singaporeans will call this the ”zhi char” restaurant, and it essentially serves Chinese home-style food with some Thai dishes. The hor fun and the likes.

Popular items include the Hong Kong Fried Rice Noodle with Pork and Prawn, Crispy Noodle with Australian Beef, Stew Pork Belly and Vegetables with Baked Rice, Steamed Minced Pork with Thai Salted Fish and Baked Rice, Hong Kong Egg Noodles with Deep-Fried Pork Fillet or Wontons.

The price of the food is not cheap at all, considering that this is Bangkok where 50 baht can get you a filling meal.

It was 255 baht (SGD$10, USD$7.20) for a plate of Rice Noodles with Pork and Prawn.

The first time I had this Hor Fun, the experience was life changing. So much so that I came for seconds and thirds during a single trip.

It could be this branch, or that the standard was in consistent. The signature dish somehow lacked of wok hei, which would mean ‘wok heat’.

This time, I had the Stew Pork Belly with Pickled Vegetables and Grilled Steamed Buns (590 baht, SGD23.20, USD$17).

It was 590 freaking-expensive baht, but crazy good.

Just so you know, Lukkaithong has a Fucheer concept a few steps away which serves dessert.

Almost every other table was having their Pang Cha Royal Thai Tea (295 baht, SGD$11.60, USD$8.40) aka the Thai version of bingsu or ice kachang.

When it arrived, I knew immediately that I had to go to the gym somehow. Two of us shared the guilt, but we wished four other friends would be here to take the calories away.

Talking about that, this was so weird, watching slim Thai ladies just gobble the whole thing down.

This was not just ordinary shaved ice, because when things started melting halfway, the bottom became a pool of Thai Iced Milk Tea with pieces of tea bread that absorbed all of that ‘drink’. Said to be created by 5 different types of tea.

Have it first, diet later.

Jeib Rod Dee Det
236/3-4 Siam Square Soi 2, Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Tel: +66 92 654 4654
Opening Hours: 9am – 10pm Daily

roddeedet11.jpg

Famous Classic Beef Noodle Soup At Siam Square Bangkok, Most Dishes At 50 Baht.

[Bangkok] In the shopping district of Siam in central Bangkok, it is rather difficult to find cheap authentic Thai food.

Small independent shophouse restaurants have been slowly closing down and relocating due to increasing rent costs and the emergence of shopping mall food courts and chain restaurants.

One place, however, that has stood the test of time and is still serving the same classic Thai dishes they have for decades is Rod Dee Det.

Ok, so they too have shut their original shop but have opened a new branch just around the corner on Siam Square Soi 2 selling all of their classic dishes. I thought it was about time to check out the new restaurant.

The original Rot Dee Det was a no-frills Thai shophouse without air conditioning.

The new Jeib Rot Dee Det is set in a more modern, industrial space, with everything painted in black.

Although there is still no air con downstairs but there are lots of big fans inside to keep the Bangkok heat at bay.

The bottom line is that if you are in the Siam area, want something authentic and local and don’t want to pay over inflated prices, then you could do far worse than checking out Jeib Rod Dee Det.

Soi Polo Fried Chicken ไก่ทอดเจ๊กี (โปโล)

Address: 137/1-2 Soi Sanam Khli
Open hours: 7 am – 10 pm daily
Phone: 0-2252-2252, 0-2251-2772
Price: Everything you see cost just under 450 THB

ที่อยู่137/1-2 ซ. โปโล แขวงลุมพินี เขตปทุมวัน กทม. (ใกล้สถานนีตำรวจลุมพินี)
เปิดบริการทุกวัน เวลา 07.00 – 22.00 น.
โทร. 0-2252-2252, 0-2251-2772

soi-polo-fried-chicken-15.jpg

Soi Polo Fried Chicken ไก่ทอดเจ๊กี (โปโล) is a legendary name for fried chicken in Bangkok.

But just like Hai Som Tam Convent, for some reason throughout my many years in Bangkok, I just never got around to eating there.

Anyway, the day came when I had an opportunity to eat at Soi Polo Fried Chicken along with my friends from Nomad is Beautiful.

It’s an extremely famous restaurant, and they are always busy, especially during mealtimes. The day I went, bus loads of Thais were unloading, ready to get some fried chicken for themselves. It’s also quite a famous lunch restaurant in the area, catering to all the office workers.

You don’t really need me to tell you this, but Soi Polo Fried Chicken specializes in…. fried chicken (ไก่ทอด)!

The chickens are deep fried whole (similar to how a grilled chicken would be cooked in Thailand), and they are pre-fried before the meal rushes.

When someone orders, they pull a crispy bird out of the metal pot and hack it into pieces on the giant cutting board.

They have both a Thai and English menu, so if you don’t speak Thai, you should have no trouble making your order. Staff the day I went were all nice and friendly.

We got a whole chicken, and if you’re eating with 2 or more people, you should definitely go for the whole thing!

The gai tod (fried chicken ไก่ทอด) was sliced up into manageable pieces, and then quite a generous amount of deep fried crispy garlic was sprinkled on top – a big bonus in my books.

Beside fried chicken, here are some of the must call menu there like somtam,
larb moo, larb gai and larb bpet as well as sticky rice.

To be honest, I’m not totally sure.

I don’t actually eat fried chicken all that much in Bangkok, and if I do, it’s normally from street stand takeaway stalls. At restaurants I would tend to go with grilled chicken over fried chicken.

Other than the white meat pieces of chicken being a little on the dry side, the fried chicken at Polo was pretty tasty – but best in Bangkok? – I guess I need some more fried chicken experience.

MUNG KORN KHAO NOODLE

Address; 395 Yaowarat Rd, Khwaeng Samphanthawong, Khet Samphanthawong, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10100, Thailand
Operating Hour: 6.15am to 11.45pm daily, close on Monday.
Phone: +66 97 236 1368

img-15373387780.jpg

Yaowarat (Chinatown) is full of good food and usually I don’t come here for Ba Mee. But for this post, I tried it and found it to be pretty decent too. The wanton here is very filling as compared to others and as again, the overall dish is well balanced.

If you ask, how do we know where to eat in Bangkok? Honestly, most of the time we are as clueless. Of course I do my own research, and I get recommendations. But whenever we eat in an eatery, we get recommendations from the stall owners themselves what else is good to eat in the area. That’s how we eat in Thailand. After having a delicious bowl of bird’s nest in Yaowarat, the stall owner recommended us to eat wanton mee at the junction of Yaowarat Road and Yaowa Phanit. She says,”Nothing beats this stall’s wanton mee, but very little, I need to eat at least 3 bowls.”

She is so right. This bowl of wanton mee is only about one huge tablespoon, with little crab meat, we finished like 3 bowls of it? Never mind about the portion, at least they are very friendly owners unlike SabX2 which is totally not worth the hype and too expensive (read my complaint about SabX2 here).

At Mung Korn Khao Noodle, it is her HK style thin egg noodles that won the hearts of many. She tosses the noodles in hot boiling water, put it in ice water and returns for final toss in the hot water. What you get is reall QQ baa mee. And that lonely wanton, mixture of prawns and minced pork, juicy juicy lah! It’s quite easy to find that stall because they are the one with a huge crowd and long queue.

Bamee Slow (The more official name is Bamee Giew Moo Song Krueang).

Food: Egg noodles and wontons in differnet variations, plus barbequed (red) pork
Price: A bowl of noodles here comes for 60 Baht.
Open: Daily around 8 p.m – 3 a.m
Address: Corner of Ekkamai soi 19

How to get there: The easiest way is to take the BTS to Ekkamai and then take a motorbike taxi from there if the traffic inside Soi 63 is to bussy. If traffic is ok, yo take a meter taxi. You can also cross over from the Thong Lor area if you are there, and again that will be by taxi or motorbike taxi

3E6B0097-1024x683.jpg

Bamee Slow on the corner of Ekkamai Soi 19 has some of the best Chinese style egg noodles in town. Getting there more than an hour after the opening means you most likely are in for some cueing. But don’t worry, the food is absolutely worth the ten to fifteen minutes in line. They doesn’t open before 8 to 8.30 pm, but the good news is that they stay open long into the night.

Noodles can be a rather dull experience, or it can be just amazing and an eye-opener to tastes and textures as you will experience at Bamee Slow. The shop actually opened up in the frame of a small street cart many years ago. But due to it’s popularity, which points to it’s quality, they did well enough to be able to open a shop house resto. Not bad if you ask me, and also a classic story behind some of the best shop house vendors in town. If you’re in for some variations and testing, or need another reason to travel deep into Soi 19, be aware that Wattana Panich serves delicious beef noodles and goat stew just 100 meters away – on the other side of Ekkamai road, just above the entrance to Soi 18. A combination of the two spots is a good way of spending an hour.

But back to Bamee Slow, where Ba Mee means egg noodles, and Slow is pointing to the wait for your food due to it’s popularity. In other words, Slow has to be understood positively.

The menu has a few variations to choose from, including the choice between the soup version and the dry version. Other options are noodles or (pork) wontons, the double noodle portion, the double noodle with wonton, with or without an egg, with a double egg, and they have barbecued pork. Personally I go for the noodle with wonton and an egg version, topped with minced pork. Sometimes I order a second bowl.

I prefer to do it this way, instead of doubling up in one portion, to avoid the noodles and wontons to become soggy in the hot broth, especially if you go there with some company and enjoy the conversation, as I normally do.

No noodle dish can get away with a mediocre broth. It’s like pizza can’t get away with excellent toppings if the crust and the sauce isn’t well made. The broth at Bamee Slow has good depth and is rich in flavor. The noodles are freshly made, cooked to perfection, tender and with a slight resistance (al-dente). The wontons with pork are tasty and juicy, with the wrappers made very thin, just as they should be. The minced pork and the red pork pieces are good toppings and adds to the texture. And the egg is perfectly cooked, with a slightly floating egg yolk. And it’s like that every time you go here. I can’t highlight it enough; order the egg. It really adds to the taste and the finishing touch, completing the dish. Quality hopefully never gets out of style, even when it comes to simple Chinese-style egg noodles and wontons. It’s addictive and heavenly good stuff.

Most residents in the area knows about the Bamme Slow, and that’s also how I learned about it, by the word of mouth. And that’s how others learn about it as well.

They have tables inside, but most people sit outside. And most tables inside seem to be used for storing anyway. As always when sitting street side there is some traffic. That has never been a problem for me. Be aware that the location is rather deep into Soi 63 (Ekkamai), but it’s really worth a visit. And they are open late. If you’re in for some food on the way back from Thong Lo later in the evening, there is no burger or kebab or any other fast food in traveling distance that will beat the Chinese style egg noodles as Bamee Slow.

Tuang Dim Sum
Address: 2029/9 Charoen Krung Rd, Wat Phraya Krai, Bang Kho Laem, Bangkok 10120
Business Hours: Everyday 8.00AM - 3PM Daily
Phone: +66 89 603 0908

image-asset.jpeg

This discreet dim sum eatery looks nothing different from the other shophouse restaurants on Chanroenkrung. But once you see its walls pasted with food certificates and awards, you’ll know this is not your typical dimsum peddler. Praised as one of the best—and most affordable —dim sum restaurants in Bangkok, Tuang is run by Hong Kong-born chef Yip, who was behind the success of Shangri-La Bangkok’s Shang Palace restaurant.

The perk of going to Charoenkrung street is that there are so many hidden gems of street food along the whole street. This particular street connects China town through a few parts of the city, displaying the the old town Chinese vibe in Bangkok remarkably. The busy street has its flaw. There is no parking area provided! Luckily, I went there on the weekend and street parking was not as challenging.

Tuang - by Chef Yip, has set its standard as one of the best affordable dim sum in Bangkok. The casual setting is the place where you see people coming in and out, lining up ordering food home throughout the day. Famous for its Lava Bun that has so many variety for such a tiny restaurant. On the inside, the wall is filled with certificates and awards of the restaurant itself and the infamous Chef Yip Yun Keong, a Hong Kong-born, the person behind the success of Chinese restaurant in the 5-Star, Shangri La hotel.

Back