• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboyforum.cc

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

30 ST pocket money fund beneficiaries awarded $1,000 each for doing well in CCAs

LaksaNews

Myth
yq-moneyf-11062022.jpg

SINGAPORE - Secondary 3 student Lim Zhi Yi has been practising the yang qin (Chinese hammered dulcimer) for almost nine years since she started primary school, but she has never owned the Chinese musical instrument.

This may soon change for the Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) student, who is one of the 30 beneficiaries of The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund (STSPMF) to be awarded $1,000 each for doing well in their co-curricular activities (CCAs).

The award - which was inaugurated in 2019 but cancelled last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic - is sponsored by investment management company Capital Group to encourage students with non-academic talents to pursue their dreams.

Zhi Yi, 15, who is the yang qin sectional leader for her school's Chinese Orchestra CCA, said: "Previously, my lack of finances prevented me from owning my personal yang qin. However, this award will help me afford one, allowing me to practise pieces in my own free time."

Another recipient, Primary 6 pupil Muhammad Hakeemi Razeki, 12, from Dazhong Primary School, said he hopes to use the award money to join external football academies to improve his technical skills and tactical awareness.

Hakeemi, the captain of his school's football CCA, added: "I hope to represent my future secondary school in football competitions and, if given the opportunity, I would also like to represent Singapore at the international level and pursue football as a career."

At a virtual award ceremony on Friday (June 11), Ms Katherine Wee, partner of Capital Research Global Investors, said she hopes the award recipients will be able to continue pursuing their dreams and progress in their CCAs.

"Passion with talent should be funded, supported and encouraged, especially in the early stages," Ms Wee added.

Capital Group is one of the world's largest investment management organisations, managing more than $2 trillion in assets.

The STSPMF was started in 2000 by The Straits Times to provide pocket money for children from low-income families. Since its inception, it has disbursed more than $80 million to about 180,000 children.

More...

Back